Skip to main content

Gabourey Sidibe On How to Recover from a Toxic Work Environment | Career Talks by Indeed

Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYH5ZBBkXdo

Posted by Indeed November 17, 2022


Research Blog 5 

Topic: Toxic Workplaces 

A video by Indeed shares how to recover from a toxic workplace. The video is hosted by Drew King and features Academy Award and Oscar-nominated actress, Gabby Sidibe. In the video, the American actress discusses strategies for recovering from a toxic workplace environment. She shares her own experiences and provides advice for those facing similar challenges. Sidibe highlights the importance of self-care, setting boundaries, and seeking professional help when dealing with workplace toxicity. Her insights aim to help individuals cope with and overcome the negative effects of such environments on their mental and emotional well-being. 


Sidibe discussed a firsthand experience with a toxic workplace. She described a time when she worked with someone who was relentlessly negative and critical, which led to a poisonous environment. She didn’t go into great depth about this particular situation, but she used it to emphasize the importance of setting boundaries when dealing with a toxic workplace. She wanted others to understand that such events can have a big influence on one’s mental and emotional health and that it’s crucial to take precautions to safeguard oneself in these circumstances. 


Some strategies and insights Sidibe discussed to help recover from a toxic workplace included the importance of self-care to manage stress and the emotional toll of a toxic workplace. This can involve taking time for oneself, practicing relaxation, and seeking support from family and friends. Sidibe also discussed the importance of self-validation and not allowing a toxic workplace to define one’s self-worth. Understanding one’s own value and not relying on external validation is crucial for emotional resilience. 


For anyone coping with the difficulties of a toxic workplace environment and seeking to recover from the negative impact it may have on their well-being, Gabourey Sidibe’s thoughts, suggestions, and advice in this Indeed video can be very helpful. 


A personal relation I have to this video was the recovery portion, how Sidibe shared that self-care was very important to prioritize when recovering from working in a toxic environment. I had focused on this a lot myself when leaving the toxic workplace that I was employed at in the past. I always felt guilty for putting my feelings and emotions first, but this video reminded me how important that was. It also reminded me that the video was not just about dealing with toxicity at work but also about reclaiming your mental and emotional health. 



References 

YouTube. (2022, November 17). Gabourey Sidibe on how to recover from a toxic work environment | career talks by indeed. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYH5ZBBkXdo

Comments

  1. I super like the concept of understanding one's own value and not relying on external validation; it is crucial for emotional resilience. I have spent many years learning this through attending growth groups. Additionally, I love the idea of self-care. I think all these suggestions are not only beneficial for recovering from a toxic work environment but also helpful when we are dealing with stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby Sidibe's insights on recovering from a toxic workplace, emphasizing self-care and setting boundaries, are a powerful reminder that prioritizing our mental and emotional well-being is essential. Her advice is a valuable resource for anyone dealing with workplace toxicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chacha you really left me a lot to think about.

      Delete
  3. Very insightful article and thank you for sharing Chacha! It is very important for one to take time for ones self. Seeking support from family and friends has always been a way for me to deal with toxic workplaces. Some times those toxic places can follow you even after you clock out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with setting boundaries and I would advocate it. As I mentioned in one of my blogs, we also have control over what happens. Boundaries are also meant to be self-care and they help establish clear expectations in the workplace. And when these are respected, it can help foster a healthy work environment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment